Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Curried Split Pea Soup

So the other night I had the house to myself and I LOVE soup! I decided to make a carrot habanero soup that I've been dying to try... well needless to say (since that is not the title of this blog) It was a major disappointment, it kind of came out like pureed baby food. yuck!
The curried split pea soup is a good one I know I can fall back on (courtesy of Alton Brown).
Disclaimer: I am not a fan of peas what-so-ever, but my boyfriend loves them so I tried this out for him. And the whole family we're the guinea pigs (dad HATES peas and mom likes them). This was going to be a contoversal dinner.
It came out amazing and my dad had 2 bowls. You really don't taste the peas and it is really yummy

Curried Split Pea Soup

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp mince fresh garlic
12 oz dried green or yellow split peas (rinsed and picked through)
5 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp curry powder

Place the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. once melted, add onions and a generous pinch of salt and sweat 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sweat for additional 1-2 minutes, making certain they do NOT brown.

Add the peas, chicken stock and curry powder. increase heat to high and bring to a boil. reduce heat to low and cover. Cook at a simmer until the peas are tender and barely holding their shape (approx: 45-50 min). Taste and adjust seasoning to liking. Using a stick blender, puree soup to desired consistency.

~Enjoy!~

I like adding a little bit of Parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.




No comments:

Post a Comment