Sunday, November 14, 2010

French Onion Soup

This is delicious soup! If I must say so myself. It was an extremely easy soup as well. I have been on a soup kick lately. In South Fla you don't get many cool days to enjoy a steaming bowl of soup, so when the moment arises I snatch it up.
French Onion Soup
3 Tbsp butter
2 lbs onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/3 cup flour
8 cups beef or chicken stock (I used beef)
1 cup white wine
1 bay leaf
2 thyme sprigs
Stale baguette rounds, sliced
Gruyere cheese, sliced

1. Melt the butter in a large pot and add onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 25-30 minutes or until onions are a deep golden brown or slightly caramelized.

2. Add garlic and flour add stir continuously for 2 minutes. Gradually add the stock and the wine, stirring all the time. Bring to a boil. Add the bay leaf and thyme sprig. Cover pan and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Preheat the broiler to high. Toast the baguette rounds on both sides. Place your desired baguette slices into oven safe bowls.

4. Spoon soup over the baguette slices, then top with your desired amount of cheese. Place under broiler until cheese it bubbly and slightly brown.

ENJOY!

We used yellow onions, which were delicious, but while slicing very potent and chased me out the kitchen a few times. If you use yellow onions place them in the freezer for about 30-60 minutes- that will lessen the potency. Sweet onions will work just as well.
I had every intention of taking pictures for the process, but got so excited and concentrated I forgot. If you are anything like me you pick the cook book by the pictures. Next time! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment